Owner and clinical service provider, Audiology Doctors of Florida, Corp., Boynton Beach, FL
BA: Speech Communications, Jacksonville University, 1984
MA: Audiology, University of Florida, 1988
AuD: Audiology, University of Florida, 2000
In more than 20 years of owning my clinical practice, I fully recognize that our patients must be granted direct access to the practitioners most qualified to treat those with hearing and balance disorders. It is finally time for audiologists to serve as the gatekeeper for those patients we serve. To expedite this objective, Academy leadership must continue to address priorities necessary to make this goal a reality. These priorities should include:
- Direct Access: Our patients must be afforded the opportunity to see the most qualified provider without the requirement of a physician referral.
- Aggressive political action: Lawmakers must be made aware of who we are, what we do, and the high level of cost-effective services we provide to consumers.
- Promotion of the profession: While the Academy must continue to support effective public relations and national marketing campaigns, members should be provided the tools necessary to effectively market in their locale.
- Support of one accrediting body: Programs should be accredited by and for audiologists.
- Evidence based care: The Academy must continue to develop a "blueprint" for clinical care. Further, more outcome data will need to be collected to demonstrate the value of audiology services.
I love my chosen profession and enjoy coming to work every day. I am excited to continue the Board's efforts to further advance Audiology.Areas of Special Interest
- Audiologic rehabilitation
- Evidence based practice
- Student supervision and recruitment
The Florida Academy of Audiology Award of Distinction (1999)
- Florida Academy of Audiology, President (1999-2000)
- Florida Academy of Audiology, Vice President for Communications (2002-2003)
- American Board of Audiology, Member, Long Range Planning Committee (2006-2008)
- American Board of Audiology, Chair, Nominating Committee. (2007-2008)
- American Board of Audiology, Chair, Ethics Committee (2007-2008)
- American Board of Audiology, Chair, Eligibility, Recertification and Reinstatement Committee (2007-2008)
- The American Academy of Audiology Ad Hoc Committee on Long Range Planning, Member (2008)