State Fair at AAA 2018 a Success
For the third straight year, state-level audiology organizations came together for a State Fair at the American Academy of Audiology’s annual conference. At AAA 2018 in Nashville, close to 20sixteen states participated in the two-hour event on Friday, April 20, setting up tables to offer information on the benefits of belonging to their state academy, share networking opportunities with attendees, and show off their state pride.
The State Fair provides an excellent forum for state audiology organizations to promote the benefits of membership and helps attendees to connect with other audiologists from their state. Representatives from different states also offered updates on legislative priorities, initiatives, and advocacy efforts, and Student Academy of Audiology (SAA) members used the opportunity to raise awareness about their State Ambassador program.
Each state’s table was covered in state-themed decorations with many offering local treats. Attendees could enjoy Goo-Goo Clusters from Tennessee, hot chocolate from Minnesota, and saltwater taffy from Florida as they browsed. They could then cast their vote for the “Best State Spirit” award. This year’s “Best State Spirit” award winner was the Texas Academy of Audiology.
“Texas is a large state with an immense amount of pride and a thriving community of audiologists,” said Alex Morris, an audiology student at the University of Texas at Dallas and incoming SAA board member. “The Texas Academy of Audiology (TAA) participated in this year’s AAA State Fair to give audiologists and AuD students an opportunity to connect and rally behind a common goal while in Nashville. We were able to channel out state pride to bring people together, build excitement around the profession, and get people fired up to attend our TAA conference in October.”
The organizations that participated in the year’s State Fair were:
- Arizona Audiology Coalition
- California Academy of Audiology
- Colorado Academy of Audiology
- Connecticut Academy of Audiology
- Florida Academy of Audiology
- Louisiana Academy of Audiology
- Massachusetts Academy of Audiology
- Michigan Audiology Coalition
- Minnesota Academy of Audiology
- New Jersey Academy of Audiology
- North Carolina Audiology Association
- Ohio Academy of Audiology
- Tennessee Association of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
- Texas Academy of Audiology
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Washington State Academy of Audiology