How to Keep Our Patients Happy in a Changing Marketplace
In today's changing landscape, it is important for patients to recognize our value as audiologists to their hearing health success. The challenge is making sure we show that value to every person who walks through our door. Having a plan and following a protocol for each patient to streamline the process and enhance the patient experience can be something that easily sets your practice apart. Here are five ways meet best practices and provide exceptional patient care.
- Income measures: Start by getting an idea of where the patient feels they have difficulty and where they are in the process of accepting help. You can use a simple questionnaire like the HHIA/E or COAT.
- Meaningful diagnostic tests: Complete a full diagnostic test battery with appropriate and helpful measures for each patient. A common battery may include otoscopy, DPOAEs, tympanometry, acoustic reflexes, air and bone pure-tone thresholds, word recognition, and speech in noise.
- Patient Specific Recommendations and Treatment Plan: Based on the income measure and diagnostic testing results you will be able to recommend the best treatment plan for each patient. This may include hearing devices, accessories, and hearing assertive technology, as well as establishing specific patient goals.
- Verify & Validate: Use real-ear verification on any hearing device fittings to ensure proper and optimal programming. Use outcome measure to validate that have succeeded in meeting patient specific goals and they see benefit and value in your treatment plan. You can use form such as the COSI.
- Post-Fitting Follow-Up and Auditory Rehabilitation: Make sure to set up a plan for post fitting follow up care and counsel the patient on AR services or plans. Develop a schedule for return visits throughout the year, such as annual hearing checks and programming. Offer group classes, individual appointments, or external resources for patients to complete additional AR in order to be successful hearing devices users.