The AAA Foundation is excited to announce a scholarship opportunity for students interested in pediatric audiology. Dr. Jerry Northern has graciously donated to the Foundation to award three students with $10,000 each in scholarship funds and $500 each for travel expenses to AAA 2023+HearTECH Expo in Seattle, WA.
The Jerry Northern Scholarship in Pediatric Audiology will be awarded to full-time graduate students enrolled in an audiology (AuD, PhD, AuD/PhD) program and in good standing at a U.S. university during the 2022-2023 academic year. Applicants must be in at least their second academic year in the graduate program and have completed at least one course in pediatric audiology. Each university audiology program may nominate only one student for this scholarship opportunity.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Completed application (Attached).
- Resume/CV: Includes accomplishments in the following areas: clinical skills and experiences, and leadership and service activities as they relate to clinical work with a focus on pediatric audiology. Please include your grade point average, as well as the university’s grading scale (i.e., 3.5 with maximum possible of 4 or 3.9 with maximum possible of 5).
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty and a clinical preceptor (at least one letter from someone familiar with student’s clinical acumen in pediatrics). Must address:
- how long the writer has known the applicant and the nature of the relationship with the applicant
- the qualities, particularly with respect to patient/family-centered skills that provided the basis for your support of this application
- how the applicant’s clinical ability compares to other students whom the writer has known at the same stage of the clinical program
- ability to apply academic coursework in clinical situations
- Personal statement: Describe qualities you believe are characteristic of an outstanding pediatric audiologist and discuss your personal goals for becoming a future clinician. In addition, without violating patient confidentiality, describe a specific situation in pediatrics that you feel inspired or solidified your passion for this specialty. (750 words maximum)