Press Coverage for Audiology
Since embarking on a strategic, comprehensive, and consistent public relations campaign in May 2017, the Academy has seen several inroads in media coverage to include audiology and Academy coverage, as well as that of our members. We are excited and proud to showcase these endeavors to you, our members on a regular basis.
- Academy members used the “October Is National Audiology Awareness Month,” template release and customized it to their practices. One article appears here, and another is in the Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise. Another member blogged about the month in a local medical media outlet. These are great examples of how members are using the press release templates to amplify the message. More clips are coming in during October.
- The article “Hearing Loss Hits a Younger Generation,” that ran originally in the Chicago Tribune, was picked up by the Orlando Sentinel and an online outlet.
- Academy members, Associated Audiologists, run a compelling advertorial in the Kansas Star on why it’s important to see an audiologist.
- LRAD Corporation sites Academy stats on decibel levels of emergency vehicles in an article in American Security Today.
- Coverage of the EHDI Bill and newborn screening was covered in many outlets including Augusta Free Press, Alexandria News, and others.
- "Hearing Hits a Younger Generation" ran in the Chicago Tribune in August and was picked up by the Orlando Sentinel as well. More than 25 million were able to read the story.
- Another story the Academy communications team worked on ran in the Chicago Sun-Times. Additional stories on hearing health are planned for the health section of the outlet.
- A release on the National Academies report on the importance of proper fitting and training for hearing aids was picked up online.
- “Protect Your Hearing from the Loud Sounds of Summer,” was a follow-up Academy release after the fourth. It was picked up by numerous outlets around the country, including Southern Dutchess News. It was also picked up internationally by the Middle East North Africa Financial News. The outlet has more than 100 million readers around the world
June/July 2017 Summary
- In June, the Academy reached more than 51 million readers and was worth more than $42,000. Highlights included a story in Newsmax Magazine on hearing aids, supplements, and reversing hearing loss, whereby Academy President-Elect Jackie Clark was quoted.
- More than 5 million people read the article and online release by the American Academy of Audiology on Fourth of July recommendations including this three prominently highlighted stories.
- Lincoln Journal Star: American Academy of Audiology Says Protect Your Hearing from Fourth of July Fireworks (June 20, 2017)
- PRLog: American Academy of Audiology Says Protect Your hearing from Fourth of July Fireworks (June 20, 2017)
- Southwest Florida Parent & Child Magazine, the Ft. Meyer News-Press, and online as part of the USA Today network: Don’t Do What My Brother Did.
May 2017 Summary
- Launched “May is Better Hearing Month” release.
- The Academy was mentioned in Newsday in April. This site has more than 3 million unique visitors per month and is syndicated into other media outlets around the country.
- The Charlotte Observer has close to 5 million unique visitors per month. The American Academy of Audiology is mentioned in this story.
- This story that mentions the Academy, originally ran in the Miami Herald and has been syndicated around the country, including to 500,000 unique monthly visitors to the Frederick News/Post.
- The AARP’s online newsletter has more than 22 million unique visitors per month. In an April story on tinnitus prevention, the Academy was listed as a source for finding a hearing specialist.The mention alone is worth more than $14K.
- A Special Section “How To Guide” ran in the Farmville Gazette, Kenbridge-Victoria Dispatch, Gazette and other community papers throughout the state of Virginia with an article on “How to Choose the Best Hearing Health Care Provider.”
- Retired member Linda Remensnyder was featured in the Daily North Shore as well as myinforms.com, which has more than 1.1 million unique visitors per month.
- Several magazines across the country wrote about “May is Better Hearing Month” and referenced the Academy.
- An article on “May is Better Hearing Month,” featured member Kathy Mellott, AuD on page 3 of the Beltsville News in Maryland.
- Member Susan Terry, AuD, was quoted in this “May Is Better Hearing Month” story in the Tampa Bay News.
- Hart Hearing Centers helped with an article on “May Is Better Hearing Month” that was picked up by multiple media outlets throughout their region.
- A Wall Street Journal story on “Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids" online and in print includes quotes from Academy President Ian Windmill, PhD. The story was read by millions in print versions that ran across the U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Drs. Bakewell, Alex and Lynne of Connecticut were quoted in regards to over-the-counter in the NewTown Bee.