The American Academy of Audiology's Bylaws, Policies and Procedures, Code of Ethics, organizational structure and current strategic plan, position statements, guidelines, reports, Scope of Practice, and Standards of Practice are key strategic documents essential to the Academy and the audiology profession. This area includes these resources and more, organized by topic.
Guideline for Guidelines
The Guidelines and Strategic Documents Committee has recently revised our process and developed a Guideline for Guidelines. This guideline is an overview of the types of documents, the process in which they are developed and reviewed, and the criteria that should be included in each document.
Academy Documents Glossary
- Scope of Practice Statement: Declaration of services provided by qualified audiologists based on education and associated qualifications of professionals issued by the American Academy of Audiology.
- Report: Testimony or account of factual information related to professional issues issued by the American Academy of Audiology. Recommendations from reports could lead to the development of any of the other listed document types.
- Position Statements: Statements supported by available scientific evidence and/or expert opinion put forth by the American Academy of Audiology consistent with intrinsic and/or extrinsic organizational goals and objectives.
- Practice Guidelines: Systematically defined set of recommended procedures based on available scientific evidence and/or expert opinion that have been designed to yield specific, well-defined outcomes.
- Policy: Consistent guide to be followed under a given set of rules.
- Issue Brief/Fact Sheet: Brief fact-based summaries of any given Academy advocacy issue.
- Public Policy Resolution: A statement (adopted by the Board of Directors) that establishes the official position of the Academy on a matter of public policy and serves as the basis for the Academy’s action. Public policy resolutions are generally used to develop the Academy’s public policy agenda, and determine the Academy’s position on proposed laws or regulations.
- Testimony and Comments: Formal comments submitted by the Academy generally in response to government-proposed laws/regulations.
Clinical Practice Documents in Development
Learn more about the clinical document priorities and topics approved for development and volunteer to participate on a clinical practice document development.
Guidelines and Strategic Documents by Category
To find information, simply click on the broad topic below for a list of related resources and links.