Reaching the Media
Use these practical tips and resources to promote audiology to the press!
- Be media-ready to interview and speak on behalf of your business and audiology.
- Use the Academy’s Public Relations Tool Kit that discusses strategies for being successful with various media outlets.
- Connect with the press on seasonal issues and life experiences.
- Customize the Academy’s press release templates (below) on hearing protection and back-to-school check-ups.
- Pitch your story to local TV and radio stations.
- Call your local health reporter and see if they would be interested in visiting your local practice and doing a story on hearing health.
- Use statistics and patient stories to get media attention.
- Emphasize the growing number of those living with hearing loss, from baby boomers to millennials; let them know your area of expertise and solutions for car.
- Go viral on social media.
- Post, tweet, blog/vlog, and publish your stories of success.
Fact Sheets- The Academy has prepared these consumer-friendly fact sheets as tools for you to use. Simply download, print, and go.
Press Releases- Check out the press releases sent out by the Academy.
Media Spokesperson Bureau- Volunteer to showcase your subject-matter expertise with the media.
Public Relations Tool Kit- The kit suggests some tips and activities to increase potential coverage, and to offer guidelines and strategies for working with the media to promote these activities.
Public Relations Hotline- Let us know if you need help on how to write a press release, who to send it to, how to contact the media when to send photos, what to post on social media and your website. We are here for you!
Create a State, City, or Local Proclamation- For May Is Better Hearing Month or National Audiology Awareness Month, use the following template and language to get your state and local area to help promote audiology and hearing health awareness.
Press Release Templates
- October Is National Audiology Awareness Month—Remind the Public to Protect Their Hearing and Get it Checked (September 2019)
- Academic Decline Could Be a Sign of Hearing Loss (September 2019)
- Hearing Plays a Primary Role in Falls in Older Adults (September 2019)
- Untreated Lyme Disease Could Lead to Hearing Loss (August 2019)
- Protect Your Hearing on July 4 (June 2019)
- Protecting Your Hearing from Summer Sounds (June 2019)
- May Is Better Hearing Month (March 2019)
- Brain Awareness Week (March 2019)
- World Hearing Day: March 3 (February 2019)