By Catherine Palmer, PhD, Academy President
Tanya Tolpegin, MBA, CAE, executive director of the American Academy of Audiology, will be leaving her position after six years of dedicated service.
Ms. Tolpegin reported that “After six years of leading the Academy, I will step down as the executive director in early 2021. This is a planned transition that will ensure the Academy’s work, spearheaded by great volunteer leaders and an amazing staff, can continue its strong momentum. It has been my pleasure to serve as the Academy’s executive director.”
During Ms. Tolpegin’s tenure, she has worked in concert with volunteer leadership to reach new and exciting milestones including:
- Legislative partnership among all audiology professional organizations with active legislation in congressional consideration
- Partnership with the Hearing Industries Association (HIA) to bring innovative education and training to the AAA Conference with the launch of the HearTECH Expo
- Widespread growth in volunteer engagement in our new governance structure, with over 500 new volunteer positions created in the last four years
- Strong student membership growth to drive change in the future of the field
- Innovative programming to support our private practice members
- A solid financial foundation to weather COVID-19 and to help our members in unprecedented times with expanded digital learning opportunities
- Expanded recognition of the field of audiology with over $9.7 million in media placement value through public relations outreach
- Development of a robust new digital platform to recognize audiology in consumer search for hearing health care
The Board of Directors, volunteer leadership, staff, and members are truly sorry to say good-bye to Ms. Tolpegin but also appreciate the strong position she is leaving the Academy in during unprecedented times. Not surprisingly Ms. Tolpegin has planned her departure to ensure that a smooth transition can take place allowing for all of the critical work in progress to continue without disruption.
Dr. Sarah Sydlowski is chairing the search committee that will be recruiting and identifying the Academy’s next outstanding executive director. The Academy is fortunate to have had Ms. Tolpegin’s guidance over the past six years and we know she will have great success in her next position.
Review the job description. The full job announcement and application opening will be forthcoming.
Announcing Our Academy Board of Directors Elected Members 2023–2024
Thank you to everyone who voted, we are so pleased to announce the newly elected members-at-large and president-elect who will join your Academy Board of Directors. President-Elect The president-elect will serve a three-year term (one year as president-elect, one year as president, and one year as past president) beginning October 1, 2023, and ending September…
The Academy and ADA Join Forces on Capitol Hill
Academy President Virginia Ramachandran, AuD, PhD, and Executive Director Patrick Gallagher, MBA, teamed up with the Academy of Doctors of Audiology (ADA) leadership to advocate for the profession on Capitol Hill. The group first met with Senator Elizabeth Warren’s (D-MA) office and then attended a fundraiser for Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA). Senators Warren and Grassley…