The Academy has compiled this list of resources to help audiologists and audiology practices maintain compliance with applicable federal regulations and are aware of new regulatory requirements as that information becomes available.
- HIPAA Privacy Rule protects the privacy of individually identifiable health information
- HIPAA Security Rule sets national standards for the security of electronically protected health information
- Patient Safety Rule protects identifiable information being used to analyze patient safety events and improve patient safety.
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rule requires HIPAA covered entities and their business associates to provide notification following a breach of unsecured protected health information
- The HHS Office for Civil Rights – protects an individual’s fundamental nondiscrimination and health information policy rights by enforcing regulations that surround the transaction and code sets, privacy, NPI, EIN/TIN (unique identifiers), and security requirements. Read more.
- HHS Phase 2 HIPAA Audit Program: Update for Audiologists – A 2017 presentation by PCC Chairperson Mike Dybka, PhD
- HHS Security Risk Assessment Tool
- Overview of HIPAA and HITECH Act
- HHS Office for Civil Rights
- HIPAA Privacy Rule FAQ
- Demystifying HIPAA: When Do You Need a HIPAA Marketing Authorization From Patients?
- HIPAA Marketing Requirements Decision Tree
- HIPAA/HITECH PPT Presentation (Ober Kaler, March 13, 2013)
- Sample Business Associate Agreement (Jan. 25, 2013)
- How to File a Health Information Privacy Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights
- Submitting Notice of a Breach to the Secretary
- HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Audit Program
- Preparing for a HIPAA Audit: Tips and Resources
- HIPAA Compliance News